As the first thing a potential employer sees, a cover letter is a vital selling tool. Get it right and it can help open up new job opportunities.
- Explain why you’re writing – quote a job reference if you have one.
- Don’t rewrite your CV – provide edited highlights explaining why you’re suitable for the job. Pick out the top skills required and address them with strong, relevant examples.
- Close with a statement referring to the next step – e.g. "I look forward to hearing from you". Be sure to include your contact details.
- Don’t waffle, keep it professional and concise - no more than one side of A4, and remember to attach your CV.
- Proofread your work - double check it for any spelling or grammatical errors, and make sure your letter is set out clearly.
Keep a copy of your letter so when you're called for an interview you can explain in more detail what attracted you to the role.
Remember to keep searching for the latest vacancies on SecsintheCity.
All the best,
Head of Sales, SecsintheCity